Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving?

It's strange to try to celebrate a big holiday in a country that doesn't celebrate it. But it was still a wonderful Thanksgiving. The only thing that could of made it better would be to have my family here to celebrate it with me. Our Palestinian and Israeli Chefs did their best to provide us with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner but nothing can beat mama's cooking. I found myself longing for my mom's pecan and pumpkin pie with real live whip cream. I envy one of my many many loyal blog followers, Amanda for being able to spend Thanksgiving with my family and most of all eat my mom's pumpkin pie!

We spent Thanksgiving getting ourselves caught up with all we missed in Jerusalem over the last 10 days. After dinnner we went and saw Harry Potter! I'm glad I finally got the Israeli movie experience. But I won't do it again. it's the same price as movies in the states only...

1. the screen is much smaller
2. the floor hasn't been mopped in a very long time so your feet stick to the concrete
3. people don't silence their cell phones
4. it's acceptable to talk in normal, day time voices throughout the movie 
5. there is balcony seating
6. there are not lines for popcorns and treats, there are mobs of people rushing the counter
7. there are Hebrew subtitles.

Then Yesterday we tried to make our Holiday as traditional as possible with a Turkey bowl at a park in West Jerusalem. It was such a fun day. We played soccer, football and frisbee. Everyone here has become such close friends. It's the perfect group of people to enjoy a Turkey bowl with. Before the turkey bowl I enjoyed one of my favorite places in the city, the shuk (the outdoor market in West Jerusalem), where I shared the most delicious ice cream on earth; pistachio, halva ice cream, with Jake, Stephanie and Melia. It's the second time I've had that ice cream and I don't think it can get any better. It's everyone's favorite. Then last night we had a poetry slam. With creative poems about our green water bottles we carry everywhere, how we've spent all our money because we've convinced ourselves that Shekels are fake money and sunstorms.

There is always more to write but unfortunately I need to pack for my trip to Jordan tomorrow! Petra here I come.

1 comment:

  1. i do believe that once is enough when it comes to israeli theaters. excellent job in summing up the whole experience! the talking in normal day-time voices was killin' me!

    ReplyDelete